Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tonight - Caps vs. Islanders at Verizon Center

Sorry for the erratic posts this week, work has been hectic and the holiday preparations are starting to take their toll on my time. Tonight the Caps take on the NY Islanders at Verizon Center. I won't be at the game as tonight is one of my partners nights, too bad it's "Dollar Dog Night." Tonight's game is once again between the Caps and a team they should beat, however the Caps are still likely to face off with at least seven first night roster players in the press box injured and they are playing against a team with a "hot" goaltender in the net. The Caps forward line up (Per Tarik) looked like this in the morning skate today (there's been some jumbling):

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Nylander
Fleischmann-Aucoin-Kozlov
Laich-Gordon-Fehr
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley.

My favorite quote from this morning's Capital Insider post by Tarik:

"I'm not used to losing, and I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like it," said Boudreau, whose squad has dropped five of seven. "If I'm fired up, they follow my lead pretty well, and I want them to be fired up."

Brent Johnson will be in goal and it doesn't look like any of the injured defensemen will be back so the Caps are still very banged up and exceptionally young on the blueline. Meanwhile the Islanders have won six of their last nine and are the only Eastern Conference team that Bruce Boudreau hasn't defeated yet.

That said, the Islanders have an injury list that is pretty much second only to the Capitals at this juncture of the season. Out of the lineup are Rick DiPietro, Bruno Gervais, Radek Martinek, Mike Comrie, Mike Sillinger, Kyle Okposo. That means their leading overall scorer Doug Weight (5-17-22) and top goal-getter are Trent Hunter (ten). Neither have had great success in the past against the Capitals, let's hope that continues against the Bears...oops I meant Caps.

Predictions for the game results anyone? Not from me this time, hopefully the defensive lineup has a better game then they did against the Florida Panthers though.

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Dan, Jr. said...

I hope Nyles shoots upon reaching the crese instead of passing backwards like a dufus, as he did versus the Blue Jackets.

That's a great quote from Boudreau. It's got to be eating him up that they can't seem to win on the road.

Look for a Fritz vs Brashear bout sometime during tonight's game.

Mark Bonatucci said...

Dan: Right on! As you know Nyls' frequent, chronic stickhandling and not shooting when he has a lane is the thing I find most frustrating about him. Though to be fair often in the past when he's done it, nobody else has been driving the net. Now my frustration with him is he's supposed to be playing wing, not functioning as a redundant center with Backstrom. With Fehr likely out - he looked in tremendous pain, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next call-up be Bourque and a shuffle that tries him out on the first line with Backstrom & Ovechkin. Also, thanks for reading and commenting.