Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's Official I'm A Wimp and Caps Take The Streak To A Baker's Dozen...

It's probably official - I'm a wimp. I thought about going to Friday night's game but Bristow is 32 miles from Verizon Center and when I went outside to see about going to the game, I saw 3" of snow on the ground already and it was coming down hard. It was getting colder and I thought about the prospect of driving home in a foot of snow and "opted out". So I shoveled the driveway and walk and went back in the house to settle in to watch the game in HD on CSN. Does that make me an official DC Metro "snow-wimp" after residing in the area for going on 14 years? Well the game started on time, and watching Alan May and Lisa Hillary on the pre-game show made me feel like even more of a wimp, but hey I'm getting to be an old man now since I passed the half century mark earlier this week.



The game started off as has become almost usual for the Caps these days. They started a little slow and gave up the first goal of the game but then settled in and scored 4 unanswered tallies to take the lead. in fact were it not for a weird bounce the Thrashers wouldn't have scored their second of the night as Michal Neuvirth made the stop only to have it hit Alex Semin in the chest as he slid into the net...Mike Green got his first goal of the streak - an empty netter to close out the game 5-2 as well. The three stars of the game Neuvirth who stopped 43 of 45; Alexander Ovechkin who had a goal and an assist and dominated when he was on the ice; and Nicklas Backstrom who also had a goal and an assist and looked pretty awesome too.


Oh and I appreciated the shot of one of my neighbors in Section 103 after the Ovechkin goal. I noted I sit around a lot of other wimps too....so I don't feel too guilty about having become a DC Metro Snow Wimp, anymore...


Now we get ready for the NBC (Nothing But Crosby) Network's game of the week tomorrow as long as the Penguins can get here after their 5-2 loss in Montreal today. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the game, I spent 6 hours today shoveling myself out now I just need a plow to come by.....


In the meantime....


LETS GO CAPS!!!

2 comments:

NovaCath said...

You are not a wimp. We did not go Friday as we did not want to take our car, which does not do well in snow. Good thing as Metrobus, which we would have needed to take, stopped running at 9 pm. Could not get in on Sunday. I am just a little tired of people saying that those who made it to the game are loyal or dedicated and everyone should have found a way and if you did not make it you are fair-weathered as in WaPo headline.

Mark Bonatucci said...

NovaCath: I almost didn't go today as well and I have a vehicle built for the type of road conditions that I went through to get to today's game. As I went into the city I had to wonder why the events all weekend at Verizon Center such as the Villanova-Geortown game yesterday as well as today's NHL Game weren't postponed.

That said it was a great game to see and I'm glad I was able to go. However, it's unfortunate so many of the 18,277 who paid to see both Friday night's game and today's missed that opportunity, I'd estimate that at least a third of the seats were empty today. It's great fun to go and support your team but it's certainly not worth risking personal injury which is definately what you'd have been doing without a four wheel drive vehicle on the roads today.