Well tonight the Capitals and the Blue Jackets faced off at Verizon Center for the first game of the Preseason at Verizon Center. The Capitals won the game 3-1 and really controlled the game pretty much all night long. Quick hits/notes from the game:
- The three stars of the game announced were: 1) Mathieu Perreault (1 goal, 1 assist); 2) Chris Bourque (3 Assists) and 3) Cody Eakin (1 goal) but I'd put Michal Neuvirth down for "honorble mention" if for nothing else but a set of four - not, 1, 2, or 3 but 4 consecutive saves during the one flurry he faced.
- The only puck that got by Neuvy was in the third period when Patrick McNeill got out of position and Troy Brouwer gave Vinny Prospel too much time and space with a very "soft" back-check and ended up screening Neuvirth.
- Chris Bourque - sweet game, he showed his skillz in participating in all three goals. It wasn't quite last year's three goal preseason game performance by Matt Hendricks but it's probably enough to keep him around these parts a while longer.
- Both Bourque and Mathieu Perreault really played hard and showed they are both determined to make it hard for the coaching staff to send them "down to the A". They also are setting a great example for Cody Eakin and nipping at the heels of a couple of guys if I had to guess.
- The Capitals' second line of Semin-Johannson-Knuble played well during the first 15:00 or so of the first period but not so much the rest of the game. However if they could stay on track and pace like they were in the first period, they'll score some goals and put up some number.
- The first line of Ovechkin-Backstom-Brouwer looked pretty solid and played well.
- Jeff Schultz has had better games and one begins to wonder "what if........"
It's good to have hockey back, even if it was preseason.
LETS GO CAPS!!!!